Wednesday, April 05, 2006

gloss

conducive when wet, a window shop dummy
modeled after me cup for cup, fold for fold,

she is wearing my lip gloss too.
but mine are fat from kisses.

_______________________________we linger at the brink
of cotton sheets dyed purple to thank the arabian genius
who invented it.

before he kisses the cut i let a canadian
slice my ring finger open with his poetry.

easily distracted by glossy finishes, we sift
our eagerness into powder, sprinkle it on

lightly. with raspberries and mint twigs as garnish.

your butter is sweeter then.

2 comments:

arch.memory said...

Very well put together; warrants reading and re-reading...

I am distracted by the odd formatting of the couplets in the middle--necessary?
(I would go with:
"we linger at the brink of cotton sheets dyed purple
to thank the arabian genius who invented it."
But that's just me.)
((BTW, purple dye was discovered by the Phoenicians, who actually preceded the Arabs in Lebanon. But details...))

I am also unconvinced of the breaking of the last couplet in half. Again, it stands well as a couplet; no gimmicks required.

I won't go on quoting what I like; I'll be copying it over. All in all, beautiful!

katy said...

ah, yes, i learned from koolaids too

but arabian is a prettier word for the poem than phoenicianian(ian?)