Saturday, July 22, 2006

heat

i smoldered, left you cold.

dedicated to the history of our blue duvet
and the air conditioning unit in the window;

we bought them both from sears,
one year at a time.
like over-due wedding gifts.

._____._____._____.

yesterday i struggled to depart;
the warmth of your back - against my breasts
magnetically - held me to you.

though i could not stay to watch you breathing.
in the cold chill of the window unit
my bare skin prickled and quaked.

as much as i wanted to -

the heat seeped out.

7 comments:

Crunchy Weta said...

Katy the heat seeking missile... loved line 1
Cheers
Glenn

katy said...

thanks crunchy one

rohn bayes said...

rowwwr !!
you are air conditioned cool

Isodgjvd

Mike said...

I like this a lot, Katy. I love the way you play the heat accumulated under the duvet (and grouped body heat!) off the chill of the a/c, and the escape of the heat when the duvet must be moved. Reminds me of being under the warm blankets in the early winter.

ozymandiaz said...

I am ever so familiar with the sentiment here. Every morning I depart as my love sleeps. It is a treacherous thing. I stride the day with my heart beating over a distance.

katy said...

rohn, mike, thank you both for the nice comments, and for stopping by in the first place.

ozy, yes. it sucks. fortunatly, my mr was able to take two days off from work during what i call my weekend (tue&wed) so that we can have a proper weekend together, sleeping in 'til 10 (at least) included. and i am so looking forward to it.

Cecilia said...

I love this, Katy. I love the first line and the play it made to gravitate towards the lines after the break, and the latter floated towards the very first line -- the circulation of hot and cold; the cycle of toasty sleeping in and of frosty "having to say bye for now"...

...glad you had that "weekend", Katy. :)