Saturday, August 26, 2006

what happened

tuesday night in a grocery store
grumbling about the ache in your knee

but you still carried me piggy-back
through the "taste the world" aisle

moaning like an old man with the body
of a 26-year-old and something

i got poked for teasing, for laughing.
then: you stopped dead in your tracks

frozen by the words that sneaked
past my unprotected laughter

the "i love you so much"
so much never as little as hinted before

but the truth slipped out like a secret
i'd been keeping for decades.

8 comments:

arch.memory said...

I have been reading for a while now without leaving comments, but I am all of out words these days, and I don't want to repeat things I said before. I just wanted to let you know that I'm still reading, and still loving what I'm reading...

katy said...

thank you dear. i know you're there, though, you don't need to tell me. at any rate, i appriciate the response.

hugs

Mike said...

I enjoyed this one, Katy. I like the innocence, the way you expressed the visceral depth of the first "I love you." Nice job.

Russell Ragsdale said...

It makes me question free will. We all can feel these things trapped inside that escape like champagne bubbles with our laughter. I enjoyed this very much!

ozymandiaz said...

The truth always finds its way out. It is nice when the ear is willing. I love the setup and the setting. It makes it all so very real.

ozymandiaz said...

p.s. For some reason there is orange fur in my coffee this morning.z

rch said...

Hello Katy,

Very touching moment beautifully expressed. Take care,

Bob

Arson H. Waterwood said...

This is one of those "aww" poems. I hate those poems. aww . . . beauty... beauty... (if these words were printed in a book, I'd kiss them).