Sunday, May 14, 2006

mother's day

ah, just like every other poet in the universe, a poem is writ on this day in honor of mom. to make mine special, though, i have decided to forego the whole poetry thing and just write a few little details that one may read as a poem if one desires.

my mom is especially special to me, as she is my mom. while she was pregnant with me she had to have a majority of her molars removed. this, is, of course, my fault. i said my first word on mother's day. that word was "dada". she will never let me live this one down. she was my girl scout leader, though i only made it to brownie. she was my soccer coach, then meg's, then mike's. she taught us all how to waddle like ducks in order to keep the ball between our feet and under control. it worked. we watched star trek together. she had the complete silver edition collection of the first generation star trek on VHS. and when i told her i wanted to learn violin, she didn't hesitate; she drove me to lessons, came to all my concerts, listened to all my squealing during practice. she cried, like every mom does, the day her and dad dropped me off at college that first day. i still have the card she left me that day, with the squirrel on the front. she was the mastermind behind my beautiful wedding cake. she still takes care of my cat. and i still go over to her's most weekends for dinner. this weekend is no exception.

forever and ever, i love you mom

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everyone can appreciate a poem/message dedicated to Mom. Its beauty was in its uniqueness, as it is for your very own mother. The phrase, "especially special" - gave it character right from the start.

Anonymous said...

You bring a tear to the eye! No seriously, this is wonderful. It's lovely to read of your love for your mum. I hope you've shown her what you've written!

I write my mum poems on some, not all, Mother's Days and it's worth the effort when I see how happy they make her. x