Friday, May 01, 2009

Dear Ritin,

Hi Ritin,

Ryan and I just went to Japan. I took 1,832 pictures while we were there!!

One of my favorite things we did while we were there was going to Nara. Nara is a city in the south of Japan where deer roam the streets and eat biscuits all day!


Legend says that a god rode down to this town on a great white deer. So, the deer are sacred creatures and were not scared away by the people moving into their forests. Instead, people fed the deer to make them stay.


Because no one scared away the deer and their forest was preserved (the only buildings in the woods are temples and shrines), you can visit there today and the deer are as friendly as people!

All the shops sell deer biscuits (one packet costs 150 Yen, which is the same as $1.50). Ryan and I bought a whole bunch of biscuits and I got to feed the deer all day!



The deer LOVE the biscuits. They love them so much, actually, that they've learned to bow (everyone in Japan bows to each other as a way of greeting, and being polite).

Attached to this email are some pictures of me and Ryan feeding some friendly deer.

I hope to see you all soon (school is really hard right now, and I'm very busy, but the summer will be here soon).

Love,
Katy & Ryan
(and all the kittens - Rowdy, Jack and Alli)


2 comments:

Beth said...

Katy these pictures are amazing! Those deer are just wandering the streets? Really?

katy said...

really, they do. honest to goodness. you get off the train, walk about a quarter of a mile up the road, and there are deer simply everywhere. it was awesome.